Maximising achievement in linear exams
09:30 on 19 October 2018–15:00 on 29 January 2019
With the introduction of more challenging GCSE and A level courses, combined with linear assessment, students are tasked with learning more and retaining it for longer. This course is designed to equip teachers and school leaders with evidence based tools to meet this challenge successfully. Drawing on a wide evidence base, we will explore the research about key areas such as memory, feedback, the use of vocabulary and curriculum planning. There will be opportunities to observe strategies in practice at Sandringham School and hear from a range of experts and teachers in different subject areas who have successfully implemented evidence based strategies to improve outcomes at GCSE and A level.
Delivered over three separate full days, the aims will include:
- Understanding the challenge of linear GCSE and A Level qualifications
- Explore research on memory and metacognition, feedback and literacy
- Observation of feedback in action
- Explore the research on curriculum planning for a linear courses
- Q&A with subject leaders focussed on translating research into effective practice
- Understand how to measure the impact of different strategies
- Leave with evidence based strategies to embed key aspects of evidence based teaching into classroom practice
This course will be particularly helpful for teachers, Heads of Department and school leaders and will include advice and guidance on how to lead and sustain change in a school.
Previous delegates on this course have said:
“I have thoroughly enjoyed the course. It has helped me to recognise the steps needed to improve the outcomes for all students.”
“The three day course as a whole has been invaluable… so many concepts and ideas all of which will improve outcomes for students. Thank you.”
Aimed at: Teachers, middle leaders and senior leaders from secondary schools.
Featuring: Dr Duncan Astle – Cognition & Brain Sciences Unit, University of Cambridge, Dr Caroline Creaby, Kate Mouncey & Karen Roskilly – Sandringham Research School.
Dates & Time: Friday 19th October, Friday 14th December 2018 & Tuesday 15th January 2019, 9.30 – 3.00pm.
Venue: Sandringham School, The Ridgeway, St Albans. AL4 9NX.
Cost: £295 per person, including all resources and refreshments.
Booking: click here to book your place.Posted on 17 July 2018
Posted in: Events, Training/CPD
Tags: achievement, linear exams